2024

2024

Saturday, July 2, 2011

New Adventure!

There's never a dull moment in my life since Jason came into it over 16 years ago, and if there is, it's because I put it there. He's never been afraid to go after his dreams or do what he desires to do. At first it was hard for me to adjust to the constant change of jobs, hobbies or where we're living, but now it's become something that I almost expect or foresee coming.

Since I've met Jason, I've been a veterinary technician (or doing something working with animals) and a mom. Granted, I have done a few other things that keep me busy, but nothing that I would claim as a career or hobby. That's it. Keeping up with him has kept me plenty occupied!

Different story with my hubby. Since we've met, he's worked in a pizza place, worked at a Blimpie subs and been a bartender. (All great jobs for hungry college students who save their money to consume adult beverages!) Then he did the rodeo cowboy thing for about 5 years, and although I would say it was an expensive hobby, he always insisted it was how he wanted to make his living. He supported us by going to school to become a farrier (a horseshoer) and did very well during the summer, but Minnesota winters don't really support horseback riding, and that's when we started following the pattern of the snowbirds. With that came many adventures and situations I would rather never be in again, but they are experiences that I will never forget.

Oh, around the time he was cowboying and when we were first married, he tried insurance sales, (which also required classes), tractor sales, (door-to-door I might add), and finally succombing to working in the pig barns. He grew up doing that & had experience & the money was good.

For the past 5 years, he has been a sales rep for Zep Inc. after he took over his grandpa's territory that he covered for 40 years. It has been a blessing and a wonderful job, but with his history of new adventures, I was beginning to wonder when he would start to feel it was time for something new. As the sole provider for our family, he was willing to stick it out, but his heart was just not in it & I could tell. Playing baseball again after a 15-year hiatus somewhat distracted him I think from the everyday workings of his job, but when an opportunity to teach high school religion passed his way, it started a wave of ambition to once again follow his heart.

When that situation didn't work for a number of reasons, I assured him that God would open a door for him and that we should wait for it rather than smash through walls as we have done in the past to achieve our aspirations. That next week came news of a future possibility, but that also meant continued patience and waiting. Then a week or two later, his opportunity arose. The current principal at St. Edward's School, where our kids go to school, was leaving to teach in her hometown, and opened up the door to a new and exciting adventure for him and our family.

So as of August 1st, he will be working as the principal and will be able to walk across the street to work and see our kids everyday while they are at school. He can enjoy lunch with them or come home to have lunch with me and Ian (and the new baby in November). As the case with many of his job opportunities, comes the privelege of more school. He will be required to obtain a Masters degree, but it is something he will be able to do while working. It's a 2-year program, but he has up to 5 years to complete it.

Not to mention that he's still going to school to become a deacon, and God-willing, will be ordained in April 2012. He will have one month of school left after that, so hopefully the load will not be too much until that time.

We are thrilled as a family for this new career path for him & know that he will be great with all of the kids, teachers & staff. We look forward to sharing in his excitement as he embarks on a new journey, especially one so close to his heart. (So, if you need anything from Zep, you better order it from him this month!)

No comments:

Post a Comment