Most mornings I have the luxury of sleeping in a little longer than the kids and Jason, mainly for the reason that I still get up 2-4 times a night with the wee one. On those mornings that Jason gets up early with them, he usually cooks a breakfast for them & so the house is filled with that yummy warm breakfast smell. Unfortunately, today was not one of those days.
Ian was up early & by the time Jason said he would let me sleep in, being my birthday & all, my body was already awake for the day. I walked downstairs to find the kitchen in a haze & the overwhelming smell of burning matter. I checked the toaster immediately, but the smell was sweeter than that of burnt bread. I remember at that moment that I had heard the microwave buttons beeping as they were being programmed for something, so I opened the door to it to find a billow of smoke and a small plastic bowl with a smoking mass in the bottom of it. I quickly grabbed it to carry the source of stench outside to the garbage can & realized that it was Malt-o-Meal hot cereal, minus the water...that's why it burned. Also, it may have been in there for a length of 4 minutes, so that may have also added to the level of burnt-ness. Needless to say, the entire house reeks of a cross between bonfire & burned marshmallows, and we have been constantly trying to rid the house of that smell. It may take until summer when we can open up all the windows for more than a couple of minutes to air it out.
All in all, it's been a good birthday. I have a head cold, but I am thankful that I will get over it and am not suffering from a terminal illness. My house smells, but it means that my little ones are growing and are able to do things for themselves and I don't have to worry about if their next day with us will be their last. My home phone doesn't work, but I have the luxury of having a cell phone so that loved ones can still contact me, and that they want to. I had the pleasure of having yummy cake and a meal with the Bishop that I didn't have to cook or clean up after. And at the moment my loving, wonderful hubby is making stir fry for supper & his parents are coming over to celebrate with us. I couldn't ask for a more memorable day & one I am very thankful for when so many things in our community and our world seem to attempt to keep us from enjoying God and His infinite grace & blessings. And tomorrow is the first day of March! One month closer to spring!! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment