Fast forward a bit...we were now in the diaconate and learning how to listen more to what God was calling us to in every moment of our lives. I had already opened my heart to the possibility of home schooling even though I really didn't feel I was mentally capable of doing it. I knew that if I was going to be able to do it, God would surround me with those that could help and guide me. (Well, if you know what we're up to now, you would know that the home schooling thing didn't happen.) I wonder still if it was an opportunity to allow myself to open up to trust God & what He wanted me to do even if I didn't think I could or wanted to.
So, with that window closed, God opened one that I didn't expect...the desire for another child. Here we are in the middle of Jason's schooling and I'm experiencing something I haven't since our first desire to start a family. Of course Jason's answer to another child is a resounding "yes!" but I am the reluctant one, (usually for selfish reasons), saying, "no thanks, I'm good where I'm at." But I was moved in many ways to open my heart to another baby. It didn't take long for God to respond to our "yes" either. I sometimes think that He did so knowing that I might change my mind if I had more time to think about it.
I think the biggest lesson I learned from the 4th child was learning to discern. Sure, I prayed for things before, but did I really listen and pay attention to God's desire for me? Did I trust what He could accomplish in me if I only cooperated with an open heart? In that openness, I received such a gift of peace. Ian brought so much joy to so many, especially within our diaconate community. Even at a young age, he opened our eyes to the mystery of God and His love for us in simple things he did and noticed, especially in church during Mass. He used to gaze at people in a way that they often commented, "I feel like he's reading my soul!"
This is a (blurry) picture given to us from Jason's ordination. Ian saw the 11 men laying prostrate in the aisle for the Litany of the Saints and he felt moved to join in.
(I really wouldn't be surprised if he goes on to be a priest someday...
we'll see what God has in store for him!!)
P.S. Happy birthday, Ian!
No comments:
Post a Comment