2024

2024

Thursday, May 7, 2009

National Day of Prayer

For the past few years now, I have had the privelege of being a part of a weekly group called "Teen Talk". It's a night that Father Jeremy set aside for the teens of the community to come and share their ups and downs of teenager life. They also get the opportunity to get in some prayer time as well as some spiritual direction.

So last night they were all sharing their stories and some situations that had them up in arms about how to handle people and things when they happen. After some advice and contemplation, one of our final answers was "if you can't do anything else, just pray". As eyes rolled and mumbles of "that's what you ALWAYS say!", rolled around, I couldn't help but smile & remember being that age and how everything seemed so difficult and important to know how to solve...RIGHT NOW!

Funny that today is the 58th Annual National Day of Prayer, (too bad I didn't remember that last night!). A day that I have tried to spend in conversation with the Lord. As a teenager, I didn't realize or think of prayer as a conversation. And as we know, a conversation involves talking AND listening, something I failed to do as a teenager. It seemed to continually turn into what I wanted or needed at the time.

I love how my relationship with God has grown and that when I talk to Him, I try to listen to what He has to say as well, and not just ask, beg, or want things for myself. (Well, most of the time.) But as with any good relationship, we need to understand all that love entails... that "love is patient and kind. It is not jealous, inflated, rude or seeks its own interests. It is not quick-tempered, does not brood over injury, nor rejoices over wrongdoing but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things and NEVER fails."

May we all keep love in mind as we pray today for those who may need our prayers, for those who think they don't need our prayers, and for those who can not or do not pray for themselves. God is listening...are we?

No comments:

Post a Comment