The other night we took the kids out to eat for 2 special reasons. First, we were celebrating Faith's 9th birthday. Instead of gifts, we take the family out to eat at a place of the choice of the one celebrating the birthday and then try to do an activity of their choice. Second reason... we were all finally home with nothing else going on!
So we went uptown to eat and afterwards, there is usually a big fuss about playing games, (you know, the ones that you need to feed quarters into...well, nowadays, it's more like dollars), and we had mentioned to the kids earlier that we were just there to eat and visit, not run around and play games. Well, they all sat really well through dinner, so we gave them each $1 to play after we were all done eating. (Plus, it gave Jason & I a chance to visit in peace for a [very] short amount of time.) They had their eye set on the crane machine and had a particular prize in mind, and although it sometimes pays off for them, that night it did not and within 5 minutes they were back at the table upset that they each had put in all of their money and came away empty-handed. AJ couldn't put aside the burning $5 bill in his pocket from his own stash and proceeded to also feed the machine with that. So, with $10 down the gullet of the crane, they were completely crushed and disappointed.
Now, I am usually the type of parent that says, "Too bad!" and "You tried, but it just didn't work out!" and let's them wallow in their decisions of how they sometimes foolishly spend their money, but being a person who has a love/hate past relationship with the crane game, I opened my wallet to find a lone $1 bill calling on me to approach the game to make an attempt at getting something out of it for consuming $10 of our family's money.
Now for me, this is a game that draws you in by your first glances, but before diving in, I feel the need to analyze the opportunity to actually get the desired prize. After carefully studying the prizes and deciding whether it was worth my $1 or not, the kids finally agreed with me on toy that was attainable and not completely ugly. (I was not going to attempt at it if only hideous prizes were the ones that would have a chance at being grabbed.)
So, in went my money, over went the claw and after carefully and strategically placing it over the toy, I pushed the red button. Down went the open claw, and as it hit the toy, it made it's grasp and completely surrounded it. Now, even when you grab the toy, you don't always have it until it makes it all the way to the prize door, so we held our breath as it jerked the claw up to the top, trying its best to release it. But I had a perfect grip on that prize and as it made its way to the door, we had cheers, smiles and even a "No Way!" from my skeptic husband. Yes, I got the prize...and with one try. So as we left with prize in hands, (might I add that it was more like, "It's mine! No, let me hold it!"), I couldn't help but think of how to make this into a life lesson moment. And that's when I thought of my relationship with the Blessed Mother.
How many times have we approached our desires and after quickly putting all that we have into obtaining them, do we come away empty-handed and disappointed? Sometimes we even drag our family into it and convince them to help us as well, and they happily do so because they want for you what you want. And at some point, we come back to someone to help us with it, whether by wisdom, hugs or what we think we need to console our hearts.
More recently for me, it's been Mary, the Mother of God. How many times have I poured all that I have into something I thought I wanted or needed and come away feeling empty? When I take my desires to her, she simplifies it. She knows what I need to draw me closer to her Son, and what I really NEED. And in her wisdom and love, she takes my intention, gives it the right discernment and ultimately draws out the best outcome for me so that I can be who God made me to be so I can help my family and those around me to be closer to Him as well. And in doing so for me, fills my empty heart and empty desires with joy and happiness that I never would have obtained on my own.
So, my lesson that night was just as much for me as it was for my kids. That when we've failed at all attempts to gain what we desire, that we need to call on our "Momma", (preferably before we've spent up all that we have), so that she help us to decide what we really need, what is within our reach and abilities, what is best for us, and if we really need it at all to be closer with Jesus. And as a loving Mother who cares for us, she puts in her offering on our behalf and effortlessly delivers our needs to us with love and a lesson that speaks to the heart. So don't ever be afraid to call on our Mother (John 19:27) to help us with our needs and desires, because the fulfilling joy that we get by doing it God's way rather than our own is so much better and helps keep our own wants at the wayside while He fills us with His Grace.
No comments:
Post a Comment